Every homeowner should take responsibility for any damage that occurs at their home especially when the problem is preventable. To ensure that your house is kept well-maintained and functional, it is crucial that you fix any minor problems that may happen in the future. One of the structures that many homeowners neglect to take care of is their decks and balconies. When decks are not properly maintained on a regular basis, then they are susceptible to structural damages that are often caused by harsh weather. As a homeowner, you should be responsible for protecting your deck to make sure you are maintaining its longevity and durability. There are common signs to look for when deciding whether you will need to restore your deck or not. It is advisable that you diagnose the problem before deciding whether the deck merely needs a repair or a complete replacement. If you don’t feel comfortable diagnosing the problem yourself then it is highly recommended that you call a deck repair specialist to thoroughly inspect the problem. Here are a few things to look for before you contact a deck contractor to resolve the issue:
- Check to see if there if the wood has decayed, molded, or rotted. This is a clear sign that your deck needs resurfacing and/or fresh coatings. When wooden decks are exposed to even just a drop of water, it is at risk of decaying, molding, and/or rotting. Therefore, it is important to prepare for the winter and spring months because of heavy rain and snow. Taking action before these seasons occur can prevent premature failure and costly repairs.
- Detect any deterioration including cracks, chipping, splintering and lifting. As soon as you see any signs of this damage, it is important to hire a deck repair specialist immediately. Although it may seem like a minor problem, it is not advisable to delay or altogether ignore the problem. Often times when we neglect a problem, it only gets worst and may possibly cost you more money and time to fix in the future. So no matter how minor a problem may seem it is recommended that you fix the problem as soon as you detect it.
- Pay close attention to loosened deck fasteners. Decks are built using fasteners that include nails, anchors, and screws. Fasteners become loose as time goes by which can be problematic if not replaced right away. Loosened deck fasteners will cause corroding and may compromise the deck’s stability.
- Check for localized damages. If a deck board is sagging, unsteady, and altogether unstable this usually means there’s been termite damage. To properly check for this just push on the railings and make sure it is stable.
- Inspect for structural damages. If your deck has structural damage it usually means that it is irreparable and needs to be replaced. Structural damage usually refers to railing posts that are loose, deck surfaces that are too moist and spongy to even walk on, and nails that have completely come off and no longer hold the structure together.
Consider all these signs before hiring on a deck repair professional. These signs are important to note down in order to help you decide what needs to be done accordingly. Home maintenance is part of keeping your home beautiful and in working order so take action today. If you're in the greater Los Angeles area, click here to request for a free no obligation deck inspection.